Barwon Heads Primary School is launching their ‘BHPS Pos. Ed. Statements’ at assembly on the 14th of September.
A year in the making; Barwon Heads Primary School are excited to be launching their Positive Statements. Designed by students and staff, their purpose is to enhance the visibility of Positive Education, create a common language and enhance the wellbeing of those in their school community.
Barwon Heads Primary School are in their third year of practising Positive Education to improve student wellbeing and nurture happy, resilient children. The school has been leading the way for other state schools in the region in practising ‘Pos. Ed.’ which is recognised worldwide as a successful approach to increasing social and emotional learning and development.
Studies have shown that increased positive emotions lead to improved student learning.
The purpose of the statements is to make Pos. Ed. more visible in the school, provide a goal-setting tool for student personal development and identify successful behaviours and ways of thinking in the form of a collective language.
The statements encompass the five pillars of the school’s wellbeing model: Positive Emotions, Engagement, Relationships, Mindfulness and Accomplishment. Each pillar has a collection of related statements that the community can refer to, enabling them to further reinforce the strengths-based approach to wellbeing.
The statements are taught, referred to in class and in the playground to encourage positive behaviour and assist students to flourish in their lives at school and beyond.
After the launch, the statements will be visible around the school in the form of posters in each classroom, banners and signage. Each family has been given their own copy to use at home.
Positive Education Statements at Barwon Heads PS
I use many words to express emotions
|· tell my teacher how I am feeling
· tell my friends how I am feeling
· clearly explain how I am feeling using descriptive words
· notice how others are feeling
I make the most of my learning opportunities
|· be enthusiastic towards my learning
· tune in to instruction and tasks
· use the Learning Focus and Success Criteria
· make the most of conferencing time with my teacher
· do my best to achieve flow when doing activities I enjoy most
· focus on my school work
Love of Learning
I accept, understand and empathize with others.
|· show respect to teachers and classmates
· be a positive bystander
· be a bucket filler
· be open minded towards others and their ideas.
· take responsibility when I make a mistake
· forgive others
· be kind to everyone
· work to fix relationships
· make sure that everyone feels included
I can pause and show awareness.
|· pause to clear my head
· follow my class and school rules
· think before I act or speak
· act with self-control in the classroom and playground
· use positive thinking skills to improve how I feel
I have a growth mindset.
|· think positive thoughts & not give up
· challenge myself
· always do the best I can
· have a growth mindset
· learn from my mistakes
· believe in myself
· achieve my personal best and not compare myself to others
· work hard to achieve my goals