Lobster Pot excursion

This morning we had a very interesting time at the Lobster Pot. Maddy taught us all about how the land that Barwon Heads is built on was formed. We learnt that the ocean went all the way to Ballarat but the ice age that happened 11, 500 years ago exposed the land. The bluff is over 100,000 years old but the Ocean Grove spit is only 6000 years old.

image image image

We found out that the indigenous people were the first shopkeepers, farmers, lawyers etc of the land that we live on now and that the land provided all that they needed to live. There are middens around Barwon heads that look like lots of shells, but they re the Aborigine’s rubbish tips. All of their “rubbish” was biodegradable though – no plastic!

image image

Here is a map of all the shipwrecks around Barwon Heads. There were many objects on display that had been found from shipwrecks.

image image

We also learnt about local indigenous plants and animals and why it is so important to look after our beaches and sand dunes.

image image image

What did you learn?

8 thoughts on “Lobster Pot excursion

1. Hi Mrs. Kebbell
    I loved learning mor about Barwon heads history.
    I learned more about the floods.
    What did you lean about?

2. Hi Mrs Kebbell,
    I really enjoyed going to the lobster pot. Talking about every thing on the floor gave me a lot of information. I hope you enjoyed it. From Mikka.

3. Hi Mrs Kebbell,
    l had a great time at the lobster pot.
    l learned a lot of new things that l have never heard of before.
    IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!