Reader’s Workshop

I have not posted many entries about Reading lately, so thought I would show what a typical morning in 3A looks like.

This week our Learning Focus is to recognise character’s traits in Author’s writing. 

In our class we have four groups who are grouped according to the goal that they re working on. We then focus on that goal during Guided and Independent Reading sessions. During the week each group rotates through activities based on our Learning Focus.

This morning we had one group doing Reader’s Theatre (the play they chose was Rapunzal)

Here they are rehearsing outside. We thought and talked about the traits of the main characters and really enjoyed it when Rapunzal was performed to our class.

This group were reading passages and identifying the traits that the characters displayed.

This group were doing activities with their spelling words. Some of the activities included using 7 words and writing a short story, making a comic strip with their words, words in alphabetical order, breaking up their words etc.

IMG_1478 IMG_1479

This group were doing Guided Reading. We looked at a procedural text and focussed on monitoring and re-reading (if words don’t look or sound right or don’t make sense).

When students finish their activity they do Independent Reading, focussing on our Learning Goal.

Which reading activity do you enjoy most?

3 thoughts on “Reader’s Workshop

1. Dear 3A,
    I sure I would of loved doing the play but I was in the hospital but wether I did or not
    cause you had a good time and that’s what matters.
    From Jasmine